Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Magna Carta...Happy 800th Birthday!


My friend asked me if I wanted to take a break from work and go see a copy of the Magna Carta. And since the important document was on display practically across the street from my work, I decided to go. I'm not saying that if I had to drive to see the exhibition, I probably wouldn't go.


But, yeah...that's what I'm saying.


I'm glad I went. Years ago I was in England and we visited the area where the Magna Carta was signed. I don't remember much, but I remember it was a beautiful area. Then again, most of England is beautiful. Other than that and learning about the document and its importance in various classes, I haven't thought much about the Magna Carta. 


In addition to the copy on display, there was a lecture by someone involved in bringing the document to town. The room was packed--mostly lawyers. It was interesting, but we didn't stay for the full hour. I was on a lunch break, after all.


In the recorded history of mankind there are few documents that have really changed history. The Magna Carta was one of them, and according to some, the most important. Eight hundred years...quite a legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment