Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Returning To The Group...



I've been away for so long. I can't remember the last time I attended the screenwriter's writing group. Maybe last summer, or spring--definitely months. Amazing how doing plays (four in a row and now five...) digs deeply into your free time.

I saw the invitation earlier this week, the same invitation I've been getting twice a month for years. This time, however, I looked at my calendar and realized I didn't have any other obligations for Wednesday night.

So I drove to work and after work, I picked up fast food for dinner then drove to the meeting.

The script we discussed was short, precise. It read well--good dialogue. The characters were strong, which is important in a short script. There's not a lot of time. We each took turns giving our opinions. I find when I attend these meetings that my opinion changes a lot as everyone else speaks. It's amazing how different a story can be, almost limitless.

Last year I got brave and wrote a full-length script for the group. After a few hours of "discussion," I felt great--not how I expected to feel. I thought after the group shared their opinions, I would feel terrible and defeated. Quite the contrary. I felt excited to try again. Since I've been gone for so long, I haven't done a lot of script writing. I have an idea for an upcoming project. We'll see what happens with that.

As always, I enjoyed the time I spent with the group. Will I be back? We meet every other week and I'm pretty sure my Wednesday night in two weeks is going to be open as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment