Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Veronica Roth's "Allegiant"...A Book Review

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)*

Last week I finished Veronica's trilogy by reading the last book in the series, Allegiant. I'm glad I read the books. Many times I wish there were more books to read in a world created by the author. With this one, I'm not so sure--I'm kind of glad it's over.

The final installment differs from the previous two books by having two narrators, Tris and Tobias take turns continuing the story, which was effective, but I wondered why that decision was made. The reason for the two points of view becomes obvious as the story unfolds.

If there's one thread that made reading these books tough for me is that there were so many different factions in the story, I kind of lost track. Perhaps if I had read the hard copy instead of listening to the books as audiobooks. I think this happens a lot to me and audiobooks. Because I don't actually see the words, I get lost at times. This isn't necessarily the author's fault. Of course, since I can't go back and read the hard copy when I experience the characters and the story for the first time, I'll never know if I read the books instead of listening to them would make my experience different.

Before I read this book I watched the movie based on the first installment, Divergent. I believe it helped put me in the world and did help me understand the gravity behind the story. Once again, there's that visual sensation helping me enjoy Roth's story.

A lot of people are tired of dystopian storylines. I'm not at that point, yet. Dystopia reminds me how no matter how we live, humans act in certain ways--always have, always will. One could argue that we live in a dystopian society now, even with all the luxuries and technological advancements we enjoy. For me, dystopia is a mindset, it's how we treat each other. I think most of us are basically good to each other. We help others in need when we can. Others see our world is full of evil where selfish people are out for no one but themselves. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Once again, I'm glad I read these books. They're definitely engaging and suspenseful. Roth did a fantastic job creating a believable world in which the physical distinctions of all its citizens are assigned, definite and socially acceptable. And because they are, we find out what horrors can exist in a world like that.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18710190-allegiant?from_search=true&search_exp_group=group_a&search_version=service

No comments:

Post a Comment