Sunday, April 5, 2015

Good-bye, Hello...Mr. Mailbox


Almost a year ago to the day I wrote a blog about our mailbox. Yes, I know how exciting such a subject is, so much so, I'm writing another blog post about a mailbox.

It's appropriate since in the almost twelve years we've lived in our house, we're on our second mailbox. We swapped it out yesterday.

In all honestly, I'm kind of sad to see the old one go. In last year's blog post (HERE) I wrote about how I looked forward to seeing that old beat-up thing in front of our house for another ten years. It barely made past ten months. Turns out it as so fragile that a wind storm damaged it to the point where it had to go.


Those painted over trapezoids are house numbers from when it was in front of my mom's house. The numbers faded years ago so we just painted over them. My son was so attached to the old mailbox I even tried putting back the wooden slats that had blown off, but that was no good. A gentle breeze would send them falling. I told him that when we got the new mailbox he could take the old one and put it in his room. That made him glad.

When we took off the told box, little baby spiders came crawling out of the wood, so we told my son the spiders were a deal breaker and the old box would have to go. He understood, but was still a little sad. So was I.


But, as you can see, we have a new purple mailbox that won't come off the post when the mail carrier drops off the mail. It's a new chapter for us as we say good-bye to another thing that reminds me of the way things used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment