Thursday, April 9, 2015

Veronica Roth's "Insurgent"...A Book Review

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)*

You know how some people are years behind when it comes to cultural events? Yes, you know them. They wait until movies come out on Redbox (not just on DVD...) and they wait until a book becomes a New York Times Bestseller before they read it.

Yup--that's me. I finished reading Veronica Roth's Insurgent, Book 2 of the Divergent series last week. Because it's such a popular series at my local library, it's been a while since I read Book 1, Divergent

I find this series fascinating. Roth has created a world where people are divided into specific groups and those groups are so strong the dictate everything. And, like all things, the system breaks down. What happens when the main characters turn from their assigned roles and join the factionless? Well, a lot, actually.

There's intrigue, romance, lies, death, deceit and overall growing up as the main character, Tris comes to grips with the deaths of her parents and the sins she's had to do.

I admit there were times when all the different factions and the different aims of each group was a little confusing. Plus, I listened to the audiobook and without the advantage of seeing the different character names and the names of the groups, it was a little confusing. Of course, I could just buy a ticket and go watch the movie, but I usually wait for those kinds of movies to hit the Redbox. I haven't even seen the Divergent film yet.

I'm listening to Book 3 in the series right now. I'm about 1/3 through. As a writer, I wonder how she kept all that stuff in her brain, the people, the traits of the different groups. It's quite amazing. I know I'm late to the party, but I'm liking these books and it would be good for me to read them again. But first, I need to get through them all first.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11735983-insurgent

No comments:

Post a Comment