Saturday, July 25, 2020

This Year's Pioneer Day Celebration...


Looking at our three unopened boxes of Pop-Its on the kitchen counter reminded me of how things have changed. Of course, the whole world has changed this year...family gatherings, picnics, baseball games--all changed.

But those Pop-Its boxes...just pathetic.

And what's worse is, we bought those for the Independence Day holiday and never used them.

We're not allowed to set off fireworks in our neighborhood and after seeing reports of terrible fires due to fireworks, our fireworks ban is understood and appreciated. Still, we picked up the boxes at the grocery store thinking we might go outside and glean some enjoyment from them.

Nope.

My wife and I were talking about the month and the holidays that fall in July. There's Independence Day, of course, but our state has a holiday on July 24th, the day pioneers entered the valley in 1847. For my family and my wife's family, July has come to be a reminder of lost love ones. My mother passed away on July 1, and my wife's father passed away on July 21. For both funerals, holidays were taken into consideration.

Tonight, I stepped out onto the back deck and heard distant booms. Some people were celebrating--there were more displays yesterday, of course. Usually Utahns like to light off controlled explosions before, during, and after our July holidays. This year, it just seems different.

I wonder what next year will be like.

For us, it'll remind us of more than just getting the day off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment