Monday, July 13, 2020

Is It A Saw...Or An Edger? It's Both


The idea hit me this morning. I knew after work I wanted to get in some yard work time. Well, to be honest, I didn't want to get in yard work time, but we do need to put some serious work into our yard. One thing I've neglected for years is edging.

It's not my favorite.

Maybe it's because we have over several hundred feet of curb to edge--that may have something to do with it. Last weekend I got up before the sun and began tackling the point where grass meets concrete. I got out the extension cords and our electronic edger.

The darn thing didn't work. 

It may have worked--and I'm sure it works really well--if you use it regularly. Since I hadn't, it was tough finding the point where the grass should end and the sidewalk begins. After a while, I ditched the edger and used a edging shovel. It works well, but it's tedious. I finished a section, then gave up for the day. I knew I wanted to do more edging today after work, but I had too find a way to make things easier.

My idea--a handsaw.


We have an old saw that I believe was my dad's. That means it's at least fifty years old. I dug it out of the basement and went to work. I've got to say, it worked pretty well. I had to be on my knees, but the saw did a good job. It wasn't fast, but when I was done with a section, you could definitely tell it had been edged.

I've got hundreds of feet of edging left to go. I'm going to pace myself and try and do a little every day. Hopefully, in a week or so, I'll be completely done.

Another thought hit me as I edged this evening. 

I sawed my sod.

Sorry...(not sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment