Thursday, July 9, 2020

Biking The Bonneville Shortline Trail...


While visiting Provo this week, I drove up to Rock Canyon Park for a little mountain biking.

It was something I've wanted to do for a couple of years. The Rock Canyon Park is one of the access points for the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Actually, I think the trail is very long--I don't know much about it, actually--but I do know it's above my friend's house.

The first time I experienced the Bonneville Shoreline Trail I walked it, and I didn't walk far. It was a beautiful spring day for a hike. From the park, the trail goes north and south. I could have chosen to go either way along the trail.

I chose north.

This is actually an important point in my story. If you take the trail and go north at the Rock Canyon Park, you'll find a nice, wide, flat trail--something I could drive my minivan on with no worry of damage to to the vehicle. I walked several hundred yards, then turned around and came back.

This time when I visited the park with my bike, I decided it would be fun to see the trail going the other direction.

I went south.

Way different result.

Just letting you know, if you go south on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail from the Rock Canyon Park in the hills above Provo Utah, you will not find a nice, wide, flat trail, nor could I ever get a minivan, any van, or any other motorized vehicle on that trail short of a motorcycle.

The trail was hilly, thin, full of rocks, and quite exciting. This I was not prepared for. Don't get me wrong--it was fun. I just wasn't ready for such a rustic pathway. After a while I turned around and biked back to the park. I then took my bike and headed north on the luxurious trail. I biked it for maybe half a mile then turned back.

It was kind of a pain loading up the bike to bring it to Provo, but I'm glad I did. If I ever find myself at the access point of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail at the Rock Canyon Park and I have my mountain bike...

Depending on the shape I'm in will most likely determine which way I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment