Saturday, March 30, 2024

Looks...Can Be Deceiving


 The house is hard to miss--it's such a beautiful building located a few miles from where we live. We believe took an existing barn and converted it into a home. You can't tell from the picture, but the landscaping in front of the home is incredible. It's obvious someone took a lot of care into the property. Today, we had the opportunity to go inside because they had an estate sale this morning.

Inside wasn't what I expected.

I've not been in a lot of barn homes. From the outside, I thought about that huge space rising into the sky and what could be inside. Open floor plans are all the rage and think of what could be done in a space like that...personally, I'd put in a kitchen and living room on the main floor, maybe the master suite on the other side of the main floor. Above, I'd have a staircase going up, a TV/game room on one side and a library on the other with a suspended walkway joining them. It would be amazing.

That's what I thought the inside of this building looked like, or what it might look like.

I was wrong.

We went inside. They had some clothes on racks for sale on the bottom/main floor. They said there was more things for sale upstairs. I got kind of excited to be able to go upstairs. My wife and I climbed the stairs to...

Nothing.

Well, not nothing. The space was there, the roof rose twenty-plus feet above. The floor was plywood and only wood frames lined the walls. The man moving called the space the loft and it was bare, bare except for the items the family was selling.

Oh, what it could be.

We think the people living on the main floor are renting and the owners have not done anything with the upper space. If I had the means I would love to convert the space into something wonderful. 

From the outside, this building looks like it could be something in a magazine, both inside and out. It was an example to me that looks can be deceiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment