Tuesday, March 12, 2024

There's A Secret To This Clock...


 To the casual observer, this is a typical wall clock, one seen on millions of homes and businesses (okay, maybe not this particular clock at a business...). But, there's something you're not seeing, something that might take you several minutes to notice.

I'll give you a hint.

The clock would look exactly the same if you looked at it five minutes later.

You see, it doesn't work without a good battery.

I did everything right Sunday morning. I got up and after breakfast I forwarded the time on all the clocks one hour like I'm supposed to do. I then sat on the couch and waited until it was time for me to get dressed and ready for church. 

We now live about three miles from the chapel and because I lead the music, I like to get there early to set things up and check out the hymns we'll be singing. I sat on the couch and played a game on my phone, occasionally checking the clock on the wall. Time got away from me and I checked the clock again. Then, I glanced at my phone...

I had five minutes before the meeting started.

Crap.

And I wasn't even dressed.

That's what happens when you set the clock to the right time but fail to notice the battery had died. The first thing I did was text my friend to see if she would cover my assignment. Thankfully, she agreed. I arrived about ten minutes late and sat on the back row.

There's a joke that people either arrive an hour early to church when the clocks are moved back in the fall and are late to church when the clocks are moved forward.

The joke's based in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment