Monday, March 11, 2024

Love This Place...


 The picture, I admit, is subpar. The composition is bad, the foreground is not picturesque and it does not enhance the main subject of photograph, that is, the Teton mountain range.

Still...

I do love that valley.

This past weekend my wife and I traveled to Southwestern Idaho to visit family and to celebrate a birthday--and a life. Driving into the valley from the west on a clear winter day is a sight that takes your breath away. I've seen the mountain range during all four seasons of the year...there's something about winter that is special.

Of course, make sure you have somewhere warm to stay because--though beautiful--it's also one of the coldest places on earth.

We arrived early to help out and gather with family. After arriving I realized if I wanted to get a photograph of the Tetons (because we didn't get one driving in...), I needed to do it then because it would be too dark when we were leaving. I went outside and took a photo. The view you see if from the LDS church parking lot in Tetonia. 

I think the first trip I ever took as baby was to Driggs, Idaho. I could be wrong, because I was very little at the time. But, growing up, we took annual trips to Driggs to visit my mother's father...the only grandparent I ever met. We ran around on the small dairy farm, watched my grandpa milk the cows, and sleep in the family home.

Now, my cousin resurrected the Driggs homestead for his family. The home, the valley, all of it...it's a special place, blessed by God, but not for the uncommitted. It takes a hearty person to accept the valley and thrive therein.

No, the photograph's not perfect. Like the valley, it has its flaws, but it's also beautiful and majestic and timeless.

I love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment