Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Legend Of...The Booger


 I should make one thing clear...we did not name this car The Booger. No, the name was chosen by the owners of the car when they bought it over a decade ago. I should also mention, I have an incomplete history of the Booger, all information gathered during a short test drive last weekend.

But, with a name like that, its story deserves to be told.

My son and I embarked on a quest, the quest for reliable (and inexpensive...) transportation. For those who have made similar quests, you know it's never-ending. It's also a crap shoot. You can do all the research in the world and you can still end up with a lemon. To be successful, you need to go on gut feeling and dumb luck.

We arrived at the house in the early evening. The owner greeted us and told us a little about the car. The first question I had was if the car had a nickname, possibly Greenie. My first car was nicknamed Greenie. That's when he said they call it, "The Booger." Oh, he almost made a sale right there. It was the perfect name for the car.


Since it was a manual, I did the test driving. My son has yet to master the manual. It wasn't the quickest car, nor the most powerful, but it drove straight up and down Mutton Hallow Road, a road that held high school memories for me. All while driving, the owner regaled us with praise for the little car, even though the passenger-side mirror was duct taped on and the radio currently resided in the trunk. 

Indeed, the power of the Booger overtook me as I navigated it through northern Kaysville roads. We turned round and my son correctly identified the road I took was an "Exit Only." I proclaimed that the Booger cannot be denied--it goes where it wants (a truism for most boogers...).

We brought it home, told the owner we had some decisions to make, especially in the "must learn to drive a manual" department. We left the Booger on the side of the road (another truism for boogers...), and we drove away.

My son's put off deciding on a car for now. He'll wait and earn more money--smart kid. I'm sure when the time comes to resume the quest, the Booger will be long-gone. Just as well. Here's hoping it found a good home...

And hoping the new owners kept the nickname. It'd be a shame if they didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment