Sunday, March 24, 2024

Give Thanks...The Skies Of Palm Sunday


 Yesterday, several storm fronts blew into Utah, leaving rain and snow across the entire state. Thankfully, we suffered no wide-spread damage, or none that I've heard of where we live. If we have a rainy season, I'm guessing we're in it now.

Utah is one of the driest states in the country, and I'm not talking about alcohol. Growing up here I thought it always snowed (and snowed a lot...) in the winters. I remember there always being snow on the hill and we could go sledding and tubing whenever we wanted. I know that's not true, but as a kid, you remember the things you remember. 

Because it's the rainy season now, the skies are full of clouds, sometimes big, puffy, and white...sometimes so thick you can't see the sun. Today, Palm Sunday, we had both. Years ago I worked with a man who was also a photographer. He showed us some of his photos and much of his best work included pictures of clouds. He said he loved clouds because without them, you have just blue sky and that can be a little boring.

He's right.

This morning, I snapped a picture of the eastern sky. So dark and so light at the same time. This afternoon the huge white cumulus clouds rose into the sky and it was beautiful. I am thankful for the rain and the snow. Without it, nothing survives, nothing grows and everyone would be forced to leave. And on a day of reflection, where thoughts turn to an ultimate sacrifice I'm thankful for so many things, so many good things in this world. I'm also thankful for the skies where we live...

They're beautiful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment