Saturday, March 9, 2024

Talte Dansk I Kirken...Oh, How Long It's Been


 In our church we have a monthly meeting where there are no (not supposed to be...) prepared talks. It's a time when regular members of the congregation stand and tell everyone what they believe. It's a chance for those listening to be encouraged and uplifted, and those speaking to strengthen their faith.

It's called a Fast and Testimony meeting.

And it can either be one of the most spiritual meetings, or it can go off the rails fast.

These meetings are usually held on the first Sunday of each month. Last Sunday we had our usual meeting and I sat and prepared to hear everyone else--not me--stand and bear their testimonies. As most people who attend know, there are some who are "regulars" and some--like me--that hardly ever stand.

Last week something unusual happened. Our bishop stood and invited us all up, as usual, then he said he'd like to hear from those of us who spoke a different language. It's not uncommon for members to have traveled out of the country on LDS missions, or be assigned a mission inside the United States but learn to speak a different language to communicate with people in the USA from other countries.

In my life I've never had a bishop ask for that specific thing.

The first person who rose spoke French and expressed his beliefs in French. Another person stood and spoke in English. Then, I did something I almost never do. I stood and walked toward the podium. I looked at the bishop as I approached and whispered, "Really?" He nodded.

I spoke Danish at a podium in a LDS church for the first time in many years.

It was an amazing experience. 

Funny thing about missionaries who learn different languages. When they learn the language, they learn a spiritual vocabulary. It's not that the words are holy, but you become efficient at speaking about the church. Even when I had the best understanding of the language, I probably would have trouble speaking to a native Dane about auto repair or government or the law. But, have me talk about religion...I'm good.

I served with a man who told me that his understanding of the church was in Danish. He wasn't as active before and became so when he chose to serve a mission. Bearing my testimony in Danish was special.

Others stood--a lot of Spanish speakers, one who spoke Italian, another Portuguese, and several other French speakers. Then a woman stood and said nothing, at least vocally. She taught others using Sign Language. I loved it.

I said before that these meetings can either be the most spiritual or go off the rails. 

This meeting was one of the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment