Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Stories From A Picture...


 That was then...

A good friend sent me this picture in an e-mail.

You can read so much in a photograph--it can tell you so much--and when you're in the picture, there's so much more to read.

This was taken either in 1983 or 1984 while my friend Matt and I attended Davis High School in Kaysville, Utah. Judging by the jackets, it's either in the fall or the spring. It's east of the school--back then--in the football field, most likely during gym. Both Matt and I were on the track team, him a star athlete (hence, the letterman jacket...), me, a poser. I mean, I did run track, but I didn't take it seriously. I was there to have a good time.

From what I can tell, we're both wearing Ray Ban Wayfarers. I know I was. Matt's wearing running shoes, Brooks or New Balance, maybe. I can't remember his shoe of choice. I was wearing Converse Chuck Taylor High Tops. You can't see from the photograph but my shoes were not the same color. I believe I wore one purple shoe and one green shoe. Me and two friends--all with the same sized feet--bought three new pair of Chuck Taylors, then we swapped. I had purple/green, another had green/orange, and the other had orange/purple. Was it a cool thing to do? You bet it was.

Your eye may go be directed to various things in this photo, the jackets, the field, even the look on our faces. For me, I zero in--like a laser--on my hair. It looks good in the picture, even though it looks a little windy. Even though I've been basically bald for more than thirty years, I miss that hair sometimes.

This is now...

Matt lives several states away, successful in his career, raising his beautiful family. He is known to tell others his letterman still fits, and he's still got a full head of hair. If you see a picture of him now, he looks pretty much the same. Me...well, I never earned that jacket (I did, but not in sports, but in drama and music...). I'm pretty sure I could never again fit into any jacket I wore in high school. I'd love to wear Chuck Taylors again, but my hair is long gone and not coming back.

Yes...the e-mail and picture made my day--thanks, Jim! Now, when you look at the picture, it tells you more, it tells a story, as I suppose, every picture can. It's not just a picture of Matt and me. Or, it is, but now we're telling you stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment