Sunday, January 17, 2021

Give Thanks...Thrift Stores


 If you've followed this blog for any length of time, you know I have an affinity for thrift stores. Where we live, the prominent chain is called Deseret Industries (D.I.). It's owned and doubles as a jobs training program for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

And I love the place.

We have so many items from that store in our house, in my office, and even in my car. Most of the pairs of shoes I own came from there as did most of my suits. The bumper pool table in our basement came from the D.I., as did many of our games and DVD movies. We found ourselves needing some coffee mugs (not for coffee...) and we found just what we needed at the D.I. Last Friday, we needed some big-ticket items so we decided to go on a D.I. run. There are three D.I. thrift stores within an hour's drive of our home and on Friday we hit them all.

We found one big-ticket item...the others are still out there somewhere, waiting to be donated and reclaimed.

Today I'm thankful for these stores. They provide a valuable learning opportunity for countless people in our area. And, they allow people to provide useful items for others to buy at a discounted price. Plus, it allows me to find treasures and gives me a place to hang out on a lazy weekend day...

Except not on Sundays, of course.

2 comments:

  1. I love those stores. I have a pair of hiking shoes I bought there 15 years ago. Whenever I traveled to SLC for work I went thrifting there.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vic! Too bad there's no convention going on or we could do some thrifting!

      Delete