Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Malad Idaho...And The Bee Gees


 Sunday...a beautiful day outside. With us no longer needing to get ready for, and going to, church (video church...), there's more time for other things. It was later in the afternoon and I thought it a good time to go for a drive.

My wife and I decided to drive to Idaho. We currently live about a half hour from the state line. Idaho, the Gem State, is an amazing place. My mom was born and raised in Idaho. My dad was a deputy sheriff in Idaho. I spent many a summer in Idaho. I can't tell you how many times we've driven north on Interstate-15, past the state line, past Malad, Pocatello, Blackfoot, Idaho Falls, or to Rupert via I-84... Ever since we moved, we wanted to visit Idaho and Sunday provided the perfect opportunity.

It was a beautiful day.

In all those trips driving past Malad, neither my wife or I had ever taken the exit or driven through the town. It's not that Malad wasn't what I expected. I had no idea what to expect. Malad was quint, a classic "sleepy town." And, almost no one was out and about. As we headed out of town I took out my phone and videoed us driving through the main drag.


As I filmed, I realized--thanks to the miracle of modern technology--Pandora was playing through the van's speaker system. And the song playing as we drove was The Bee Gee's How Deep Is Your Love? I thought, what a surreal moment it was driving for the first time in a town I'd passed dozens of times in my life and one of the greatest songwriting bands of the twentieth century had a hit of theirs playing in the background.

I apologize for the cut video--if you notice in the first video a SUV parked to the right. That was a cop. I stopped videoing, then resumed after we passed the cop. I was so into the street and the song that I missed the turn to the Interstate. We had to double-back to get home.


It was our trip to Malad, soundtrack courtesy of The Bee Gees.

No comments:

Post a Comment