Saturday, January 2, 2021

Can You Believe That ABBA Dressed This Way Because Of...Taxes?


 I'm partial about Sweden. I'm more partial about Denmark, but I have a soft spot for all Scandinavian countries. I lived in Denmark for a couple of years, met many Swedish citizens...they are as warm and lovely as they are beautiful. 

Being partial for Scandinavian things includes the megaband ABBA. Many Danes support their northern neighbors when it comes to pop culture. I mean, Swedes are almost Danish, or they were all one country centuries ago so it's like supporting one of their own.

Back in the 1970s the world was transforming from the hippie styles of the 1960s into something new, something colorful, something--by today's standards--outrageous. And nothing exemplifies this style change more than album covers from Swedish bands. There are several websites dedicated to these "fashions." I found a good one: HERE.

But, according to the book Abba: The Official Photo Book, the reason the band were dressed so over-the-top had less to do with branding or pop culture, but with taxes (you can read an article talking about it: HERE...). In the 1970s in Sweden, if you could prove that the outfits you wore on stage would not be considered something you'd wear on the street, you could save on taxes. Traditionally, Scandinavian countries are known for having high tax rates so this claim sounds credible.

My friend posted a tweet with a picture of ABBA today. It reminded me of the tax story I'd heard a few months back. If it's true or not, it makes for a good story...

Or blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment