Thursday, March 22, 2012

Midnight Movies...Not In My Day!

*

I've gone to only one midnight movie in my life...just one. My teenage son and I went to see "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" in the wee hours of the morning, July 15, 2009. We did not dress up as either witches or warlocks (or house elves, or dementors, or anything else...just average people). Tonight the social media networks are abuzz with the opening of "The Hunger Games." Good book--hopefully a great movie.

Back in my day we didn't have no midnight movies...we had about 10 theaters in a 50 mile radius and those 10 theaters showed five movies, and if you didn't like those five movies, we didn't have "The Internet" or Redbox or smartphones with Netflix streaming, or even Cable... If you wanted to watch something, you watched one of three television stations (let's be honest--public television really didn't count...) and that was it. That was all. We didn't have a lot of options, but I don't remember complaining about it.

But things have changed. Now I can order tickets to the exact seat I want to sit in weeks in advance of a new film I want to see. There's no waiting in line--first come; first served style. It's red carpet treatment all the way!

So do I go online and order my ticket for the 12:02 a.m. showing of "The Hunger Games" (or maybe the 12:20 a.m. showing or the 2:35 a.m. showing or perhaps the 2:45 a.m. showing--you get the idea...) or do I stay home with my hundreds of cable channels or watch previously recorded DVR'd programs or even watch about a million things on the computer. Now, we seem to have endless options and all I seem to be able to do is complain...

*Photo used without permission from the following website: http://www.entertainmentwallpaper.com/download/10016224/

No comments:

Post a Comment