Saturday, October 22, 2011

You Can't Take It With You, Tech Rehearsal...


Tech Rehearsal


I remember asking the director Thursday night when I needed to be at rehearsal on Saturday. "We're going to begin to run the show at 1pm, so you can probably show up at 2pm." She laughed a little. So did I.


I showed up at 2pm this afternoon and the stage was a beehive of activity...not the actors performing their lines, but people setting up the stage, vacuuming rugs and hanging curtains. I thought I'd come at 2pm, wait a few minutes, run my five or so lines, and be done. I could then go home and finish the laundry while I watched college football while writing more of the pilot. It soon became evident that my version of what was to happen this Saturday afternoon would not come to pass...


We started the run around 3:30pm. My entrance is at the end of the second act--I had some time. "So, how long have you been here?" I asked a fellow actor also named Scott. "I've been here since 8:30 this morning. I helped build the set." Suddenly, my fatigue paled in comparison.


Today's tech rehearsal was unlike any I've ever done. Usually on tech days we stay all day running the show to make sure sound and lighting are as close to the director's vision as possible. We didn't do that today...things just sort of got fixed on the fly with a lot of "We'll fix that on Monday's..." sailing through the auditorium air.


Usually, because I have so few lines, after my scene I got home. "We're going to rehearse the curtain call after we're done--can you stay?" the director asked. I couldn't say no so I stayed.


I watched the cast get their notes. They looked so tired and I'm sure their outward appearance conveyed  their true condition. I stayed for a little while, then left when Ryan (or Donald in the show) made a break for the door.


We begin the show next Thursday. The run goes from Wednesday through Saturday, October 26 through October 29. If you're interested in coming, let me know, or go HERE for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment