Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Joy Of Helicopter Seeds...


Helicopter Seeds


I went for a walk this morning and spotted some maple seeds on the sidewalk. I came home and grabbed my 7-year old. "Let's go for a walk," I told him. Without even asking why, he put on his shoes and we were headed down the street.


"Helicopter seeds!" he yelled once he saw them. We scooped up a couple of dozen and brought them home. We found the highest spot where helicopter seeds can do their thing and let them drop.


It took me a couple of times to get pictures of the seeds in flight (or in descent...). Fortunately, my son was game to go up and down the stairs several times so I could take more pictures. He even went down the street for more.


There's something magical about watching the seeds spin as gravity grabs them and gently pulls them to earth. We have one maple tree on our lot. It's small, but growing. I wonder if we still live in this house in the future, will faces light up like they did this morning as they watch these delightful helicopter seeds twirl and twist as they fall? I sure hope so...

No comments:

Post a Comment