Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Centerpoint Legacy Theatre's "The Addams Family"...Loved it!


Tonight my son, daughter, and I attended a performance of Centerpoint Legacy Theatre's latest production, The Addams Family.

I didn't know what to expect--I've never heard the music and I don't know the story. I have some knowledge of musical theater, but there's so many shows I don't know. Before I was cast in Shrek, I had never heard even one song from the show. But there's something special about seeing a show for the first time--sort of like reading a book about which you know nothing before you pick it up.

And like a book that is pleasantly surprising, this show did the same thing to me.

I loved it!

CPT double casts their shows. Of the two casts I knew more people in this cast than the other. Knowing people in a show is sort of like knowing an author when you read their book. If you're unfamiliar with the show, it's the story of what happens when Wednesday Addams falls in love and wants to marry Lucas, a boy from a "normal" family from Ohio (a swing state...).

Yes, it's got that My Big Fat Greek Wedding vibe, but I didn't mind. What I loved about this particular production was the strength of the principles--their voices and acting skills were amazing! The ensemble backed them up wonderfully--so much personality came through in their characters as well.

 And the sets were fantastic! The show's director happened to be there tonight and during intermission, I was able to speak with him briefly. I've not worked with this director, but the sets in the shows I've seen him do have always been so impressive. Other things are impressive of his shows, too, but his shows always look top-notch.

The show runs until October 29th. If you're in the area and thinking of seeing great talent telling a fun story, check out CPT's The Addams Family. I'm glad I did. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment