Monday, October 17, 2016

It's Good To Be Busy...But To Be This Busy?


I am tired.

It's my fault, really. Each time something comes up, I've said I'd do it, I'd volunteer, I'd say yes.

And so I did.

And so I'm tired.

Don't get me wrong--I like being busy. I've been doing it for some time. Back when I got my undergraduate degree, I constantly had several jobs at once while a full-time student. I got married and have been fortunate enough to be employed almost the entire twenty-four years since.


Around the turn of the century, I started doing shows, community theater. Luckily, my kids liked doing the shows with me and it made for a fantastic parent/child experience (at least, for the parent--they kids have said they've enjoyed it too...). But doing a show takes time--a lot of time. You rehearse almost every day, except Sunday, for two months, then the show runs for another month. Once the show begins, that's when you actually get a break--you're only needed every other night. Still, I've made life-long friends and wonderful experiences from these shows. I'd hate to think of turning them down just because I was busy.

Then around ten or twelve years ago, I started writing. I'd always dabbled, but I thought I'd take the craft to a more serious level. Now, being a writer means you're always "busy." You're never not busy because either you're writing, or you feel you should be writing--both can be somewhat stressful. But the rewards can be amazing!


To improve my skills I decided to return to college after fifteen years and get my masters degree. In a couple of years I donned a black robe and was given my diploma. I did this while I worked full-time, kept writing, and even doing shows.

Crazy, right?

Probably.

Since I graduated I've still kept writing (not as much as I want...), worked full-time, and done several part-time jobs. The part-time jobs are for fun and because it was needed. And the shows--there always seems to be another show out there.


So, why am I tired now? Right now, along with my job, I have a part-time job on the weekends. My son and I work at a Halloween show at Lagoon, the amusement park by our house. I'm also in a play we'll put on in December--I'm playing three characters and need to memorize my lines. And each day I need to find something worthy of a blog post as well as post a daily picture, which means also finding something interesting to photograph.

And this is only October. November's going to be nuts!

In November I've decided to write a novel--I'll need to write about 2000 words a day while working, getting ready and starting the Christmas show, and blogging everyday. Thankfully, the part-time job will be done so I should have good writing opportunities on Friday and Saturday.


Again, I'm not complaining even though it sounds like I am. I know I've been busier, but I've never been this busy and a half century old before. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment