Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Let's Bring Back...The Fun


Tonight, after work, I sat down and checked out what was on TV. By habit, the first thing I checked was sports. Since I'm not the biggest baseball fan, and football season hasn't yet begun, there's usually not much on at this time of year.

At least not for me.

But, I thought I'd check anyway. I did see that a soccer game between a MLS team and a team from Mexico was about to begin. The pre-game show was only on a Spanish TV station. I turned it on for no other reason than to have something on.


I don't watch a lot of Spanish TV. I don't understand the language, and to be honest, some of it--their game shows for example--can get a little risqué. I guess some of their commercials can as well. But it was the commercials that caught my attention. I hit "Rewind" and videoed an example of what I'm talking about.

It's an add for Wells Fargo. A girl listening to upbeat music is dancing in the streets, making everyone who sees her happy. And I wondered, are Hispanics just happier than the rest of us? It seems life in the United States hasn't been as fun as it once was, or at least, that's the message we get from a lot of our media. We don't see ads of people dancing. Or maybe we do--my research is very limited having just thought about this tonight.


I know a lot of ads in the U.S. are funny--funny almost always works. There is, however, a difference between funny and fun. It would be nice to see ads targeting me and other Americans showing people having fun, especially for a bank. Maybe one day we'll return to having fun. I sure hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment