Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Just Watched "Mortal Engines" And...I Liked It


Even thought I hadn't seen the show, I knew I'd like it. I knew I'd like it when I first heard about it. All I had to hear was steampunk and Peter Jackson and I was sold. I didn't see it in the theater, which in no way means I thought less of the film--we hardly watch movies in theaters.

Today I finally watched Mortal Engines.

And I was right.

I liked it.


I remember when it came out. Many panned the show, whether they watched it or not. "What--are you kidding me? Steampunk cities that attack each other? What kind of a story is that?"

Well, it's a story about humans in a thousand years that live on mobile cities and they survive by attacking each other. Sure, it's a little far-fetched, but aren't most movies? Being a fan of the whole steampunk genre helped. I thought the film was beautiful, and one of the most imaginative films I've seen in a long time. 


It's interesting...people rip on Hollywood, and everyone who makes movies, because they say that nothing's original anymore. They've got a fair point--there are so many re-makes being made. And then, someone takes a chance and spends millions of dollars on an original story, or at least, an original setting, and many don't like it. It's probably the same people complaining there are no original movies anymore. Maybe some people just like to complain.


I think we all know that's true.

And I guess, I'm kind of complaining about complainers. To quote Spike from Notting Hill, "Vicious circle." I doubt there'll be a sequel, or any other film made in this world. It's too bad. It was like I was watching a great steampunk novel come to life. Maybe that's the problem--not enough steampunk fans out there. Well, there's at least one steampunk film fan wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment