Friday, August 23, 2019

LUW, The Quills Conference...A Wonderful Event!


Years ago, I attended a League of Utah Writer's bootcamp. I attended for only one day. We spent the time critiquing a first chapter of a work in project. I thought my story was pretty good. They kind of ripped it apart. And that's a good thing. 

That was the last experience I has with LUW. Until today. Thanks to a good friend, I was given access to the LUW The Quills Conference, held above the University of Utah. It's a three-day affair. I missed the first day.

But I'm glad I went today.

It was great!

Over the past several years, when I've gone to writing conferences, the only panels I've attended were the ones I've been on. When not on a panel, I could usually be found in the vendor room trying to sell books. Today, I attended four classes and learned a great deal on many topics, all centered around making me a better writer.


At all these events I run into friends. One of my fondest memories when I think back on all the conferences I've attended is hanging out with friends. We talk writing, families, life, whatever comes up. This afternoon was no exception. It was great chilling with Jay and Glen.


The first panel I attended focused on how to better market yourself as a writer. The presenter is from a publishing house. They had stats and information about the different social media platforms. It's important information because as good a writer you are, you almost need to be better at marking what you wrote. 


After, I attended a first-page critique panel. They critiqued four story beginnings. I learned a lot even though I didn't have a story to critique. Getting immediate feedback from experts was invaluable information. I wished I had thought ahead and brought the beginning of my latest story.


Next, I learned about ten tips for writing by the much-respected Michaelbrent Collings. I've heard Michaelbrent speak numerous times. He's never disappointed. His advice is not only for writers, but he provides a way for you to enjoy your life, your progress, and where you currently are.


Finally, I sat in on a class where a few of us sat around the table and just talked about writing, the business that it is, and how to circumnavigate the confusing world of publishing, hosted by the badger-hat-wearing Dave Butler.

I don't know if I was able to absorb so much information because I'm excited about a new writing project I've recently begun, or because the presenters were great and I needed the information. Whatever it was, I learned, and found a renewed desire to write. I've got one more day to enjoy the event. Day One was a definite success.


No comments:

Post a Comment