Tuesday, August 27, 2019

I Think I'll Give MeWe A Chance...


It's hard to imagine life without social media, but ten/fifteen years ago, we all did. When I first signed up for Facebook, I was amazed at how useful it could be. Of course, there are posts showing glimpses into people's lives, but what impressed me was how it connected everyone. It's also a social calendar, s marketing tool, and so much more--it literally makes the world smaller.

Maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

Since I've been utilizing social media, I've connected with high school classmates, missionary and Danish friends. I've kept in touch with family members, college acquaintances and fraternity brothers. It's also been a marketing tool for my fledgling writing career. The more I'm involved with Facebook, the more I find it hard to consider leaving.

I guess that's the point. They want you to stay.

A few weeks ago a friend posted on Facebook that he's trying out a new (or, maybe it's not that new...) social media platform called MeWe. I decided to try it out. It was like a breath of fresh social media air. There are some advantages MeWe has over other social media sites. I haven't studied it too much. I just know Facebook, and the others, aren't as fun as they once were. It's not to say MeWe is, but it doesn't feel so...heavy.

There's trade-offs, of course. On Facebook I have many contacts. On MeWe, I have about a dozen. I've reached out to several author friends, but few others. Also, there's not many on the platform to begin with. Maybe it'll get bigger and maybe it'll disappear. I don't know. It's worth a try.

If you're also trying out MeWe, or you've been on for a while, look me up. I'm not posting much now. That may change. Then again, it would probably be best if I stopped posted altogether. Don't now if I'm ready for that quite yet. One step at a time...


No comments:

Post a Comment