Sunday, August 25, 2019

Rivalry Week...2019 Edition


Today marks Day One of Rivalry Week. On Thursday, the football team from the University of Utah will travel south to visit the home field of Brigham Young University. There, they will battle for bragging rights for the next twelve months.

Let the smack talk begin!

If you're looking for said talk here, I'm sorry. You'll need to go elsewhere. I'm not much of a smack talker. I know several who are good at it, who can dish it out--some in good fun and others a lot more serious--and they seem to take it when their team doesn't win. I'm hoping I can be considered in that category.

Because I haven't always been a good winner, or a good loser.

I've blogged about this particular game, I believe, each year I've written this blog, and since I've been blogging daily since 2011, this would make it my ninth BYU vs U of U blog post. In all the time I've blogged, the Cougars have never beaten the Utes. In fact, the last time BYU won was November, 28, 2009, almost a decade.

There was a time when I really stressed over this game. I know it's stupid and immature, but I did. I remembered when I attended the U. BYU would stomp our team every year. They were the "Big Dogs" (or cats...), a national brand, an excellent program. I hated to be a fan on the losing end of the game, and it happened all the time. 

Since then, momentum has changed, and hopefully, my attitude as well. I hope I'm mature enough to hope for a good game and appreciate whoever wins. Of course, it's easy to say when the team you root for has won nine straight. Time will tell--on Thursday night I may have to be the one having to endure twelve months of "second-place" and "overrated" posts, comments, even perhaps bumper stickers.

This should be a fun week. It should be a fun game. And when the clock hits 00:00, may the better team win. Here's to those who work so hard to give us all a few hours of entertainment and a year of smack. Go Utes!

No comments:

Post a Comment