Thursday, August 1, 2019

Gaffer Socks--Yeah, It's A Thing...Almost


I don't consider myself forgetful, at least, not yet. But as the days turn to weeks then months then years then decades, sometimes it happens. And when things are forgotten, measures must be taken to fix the problems created by being forgetful.

It happened last week.

And it involved my socks, specifically, black socks needed for the show I'm in.

I remembered thinking about changing my socks before I left the house for the theater. I did not remember long enough to actually change my socks. I remembered again when, in the theater dressing room, I looked down and wondered why I was wearing white socks and not black ones.

What to do?

I could ask my fellow pirates if anyone had an extra pair of socks. It's highly unlikely. I mean, I didn't have an extra pair of black socks. I usually wear them so I can wear them home after the show. That way, I don't leave a pair of stinky black socks at the theater with all my stuff.

Then, I had an idea...

Gaffer tape!

I ran downstairs and grabbed a role not knowing if it would even work, but I thought I'd give it a try. I sprinted upstairs and got to work. My first attempt wasn't good. I didn't want to completely wrap my foot--the shoes/slippers I wear might not fit. So, I ripped off strips and put them on the top of my foot. Things went easier on the other foot. I put on my shoes/slippers and they fit. It wasn't pretty, but it would have to do.


Turns out, the gaffer socks disappeared almost as quickly as they were born. A fellow pirate--Smee, if you want specifics--saw me creating a poor alternative to black socks and offered me a clean pair he had. He saved the day. If they hadn't looked so terrible, I would have liked to see just how the gaffer socks worked. My guess would be, poorly. Thankfully, we'll never know.

Unless, of course, I forget my black socks again, then we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment