Tuesday, August 6, 2019

We Lost A Good One Today...One Of The Best


As we get older, the foundations we've relied on all our lives feel less sure, less secure, less safe. Maybe it's not that the foundations grew weak, but that our eyes are opened and we see the realities of life. In my life, there are a handful of people who I have counted on to be there, relied on as moral, emotional supports. This morning, one of those people left us and there's hole in my reality.

Having a parent pass away before I reached double digits in years means others filled in. As a child, I never wanted for anything and a big reason for that were my aunts and uncles. They supported my mom and my siblings in so many ways. Many of my memories are filled with my Uncle Arlin and Aunt Coralle with us at family functions, celebrations, even funerals.

I got the call before 7am this morning. When a cousin calls you at 7am, unless you're meeting up for a trip or other such event, the news won't be good. And it wasn't. My sweet aunt passed away early this morning. She had received bad news only weeks ago, but considering all the trials this tough lady went through in the past ten years or so, I just assumed she'd beat this latest trial like she had so many others. In the end, however, she succumbed as we all will. We knew it was coming, but the news still punched me in the gut.


My aunt was so much like my mom. They were born in the same era, grew up together after they became sisters-in-law, supported each other through life, and now are together again. We mourn; they rejoice. Two tough birds who fought all that life had to throw at them and they still smiled whenever you saw them.

I love the picture of the four of them camping. My mom and dad are on the right, my aunt and uncle on the left. Now, only one remains, a survivor, a wonderful man, now a widower. In the past few years, I saw less and less of my aunt and uncle. We see less and less of all our relatives. It's a shame, but it's life. We had wanted to travel north next week for one last visit. Unfortunately, that visit will have to wait. Our world is one light dimmer tonight, a light I knew my entire life, and I'll miss her terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment