Friday, August 16, 2019

The Kitten...I Think I Figured Out Something


When we first got our kitten, it went crazy, treating us as scratching posts again and again. Then, he calmed down and we had a truce.

I guess the truce didn't last long.

I'm no vet or animal behaviorist, so I don't understand everything our little kitten does, but he did something last night and a lightbulb went off over my head. I wonder if he did it on purpose.

The cat, in one of his racing fits, jumped across me and slashed my arm. Then, he attacked my foot. Since I'm a bit allergic to cat scratches (as are many...), those bites and scratches caused my skin to itch. So, I would scratch the itch (or is it itch the scratch...?). That's when I saw the kitten focus on my scratching my foot waiting to attack me again. It was almost as if he causes an inch and when I scratch it, he can more easily attack again while I was distracted.


Like I said, I don't understand everything about cats--in fact, I know very little. But, as I watched the cat, it was almost as if he did this on purpose, the first attack set up the second. Sure, it's a little thing, but how else could a tiny animal take on a human, but little by little?

As our kitten grows, we're hoping he grows out of his "attack mode." We're thinking getting him fixed will help. It's interesting watching these animals and see how they act and interact. I wonder if they think the same thing about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment