Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Staff Meeting Day...


Today was our team's staff meeting at work. 

And all that that entails.

I don't know about you, but there are times when I wonder why we have so many meetings. And I'm an entry-level worker! I used to be in management--so many meetings. My boss seems to always be in a meeting. Imagine how many meetings his boss has, or his boss's boss. It's mind-boggling.

Today's meeting was slated for two hours. We went a little long this morning, but I feel it was warranted. More than half of our team has been with us less than a year. That's unusual. Most of the time, team members--or a majority of them at least--tend to stay with the same team for several years. We usually lose team members to retirement. There's been so much turnover in our team that when a co-worker and I walked into the staff room and looked around, we apologized for entering the wrong room. Turns out, we were in the right place after all.

The workers were so new, we have never before met them in person.

We chatted about policy, ways to improve, grievances...you know, your basic work stuff. We try and meet at least once a month, or have a meeting via phones. We've got workers from one end of the state to the other--another new development.

I know meetings are important, and I know, many times including while in a meeting, you wonder why we have so many. I'm sure there's been thousands of meetings with the topic being: How do we reduce the number of meetings we have?

We'll get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment