Saturday, August 24, 2019

The League Of Utah Writers Quills Conference...Helping Writers


I returned to the hilltop this morning, to the writing conference that began Thursday and ends tonight. I wasn't sure which panels I would attend, or with whom I would converse. Having not sure if I'd even attend until this week, I hadn't planned my schedule or done my homework to know which panels I'd like.

I ended up attending no panels.

I ended up just talking to friends.

I had a great time.

As I walked around the lobby of the University Marriott (a place where, exactly twenty-six years, eleven months, and two days ago my wife and I had our wedding reception...), I chatted with a few people I know, when I heard someone call my name. I scanned the room and saw a friend.


That, in and of itself, is not unusual. After having gone to several of these each year for the past six years, I've gotten to know many people. But, this was the first time I saw him at one of these events. As always, it was good to see him, but it was place I didn't expect to see him. He's not a writer. At least, I didn't think so.

I was wrong.

He is.

In fact, he's written a couple of novels and he wasn't quite sure what his next move should be. 

We had a good talk. He was feeling down because he felt like he didn't belong at the conference. He wasn't sure how he fit in with everyone there. Listening to him talk, his words took me back. Because six years ago, I was in the same boat. In fact, going to writing conferences many times turned out to be an exercise in making me feel terrible. 


We spoke for twenty or thirty minutes, then he joined me and another writing friend for lunch where we continued talking about what writing is and what it isn't, how to "make it," and what the definition of "a successful writer" actually is. Hopefully, the couple of hours we spent together and chatted helped him realize, he's actually doing great and he shouldn't feel like he doesn't belong at the conference. Actually, he's the perfect person a conference like The Quills Conference was made for.

I left early, not having attended one panel. But I felt great as I climbed in my car and drove home. No, I didn't take advantage of all the wisdom found at the conference, but what me and my friend did was help a new writer understand some of the secrets and things we both learned when we first started out. After all, isn't that what a writer's conference should be?

Thank you League of Utah Writers for putting on a great event. You have affected people's lives, mine included.


No comments:

Post a Comment