Thursday, August 22, 2019

Well...That Was A Bummer


These most likely look like random numbers to you. There are a select few that can understand what they mean. They would have to work for the same employer that I work for, and they would have to work on the same computer program that I work on.

Like I said, a select group.

I am a caseworker and have several hundred cases assigned to me. Yesterday, I was instructed to shift some of those cases to some of the co-workers on my team. They're new and it's time for them to take on more work, more responsibility. Of course, I'm a team-player and want to help them on their journey. I gladly begun transferring the cases.

I started transferring yesterday afternoon. It took several hours and I was only halfway through. Right now, we're upgrading from an old version of our program to a newer version. It's a complicated program taking several years to build. Because of that, there are some shortcuts built in that I know about, but many more I don't. I was getting tired of transferring cases the old-fashioned way. I thought I'd try and see if I could figure out one of those shortcuts.

Nope. 

I didn't figure out a shortcut. I actually transferred every case I had to a poor co-worker, and a newbie at that. I hurried and called the help desk to see if they could somehow fix my mistake. The guy just laughed. He apologized for laughing, but I knew how he felt. It was laugh-worthy.

It took several hours to fix the error. Thankfully, I was caught up and was able to get my regular workload done today even with the distraction. No...the old adage of "slow and steady wins the race" is a good one. Next time, I'll make better decisions. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment